Words of Wisdom – From Lincoln Cheng – Zouk Club Founder

He constructed Zouk right into a model identify revered by dance establishments far and broad. Touted the world over as one of the most effective golf equipment on this planet, Zouk has been sweeping trade awards yearly, the newest one being Finest Nightspot Expertise 2008 by the Singapore Tourism Awards, even after 17 years within the enterprise.

How does Zouk membership founder and nightlife maven, Lincoln Cheng have enjoyable and make tons of cash on the similar time? Under he shares three life classes which have made him profitable:

1. All the time be the pioneer in the whole lot that you just do.

Wanting again at his work profession, Lincoln had all the time believed in being the pioneer – he determined to make use of metal buildings for prime-rise buildings in Hong Kong whereas everybody was nonetheless utilizing cement, and launched the boating way of life there by promoting luxurious yachts. In truth, he had the foresight to suggest constructing a world-class marina on Marina South in 1983, nevertheless it was rejected by the URA. He was the main system furnishings provider in Singapore and dealt with quite a few turnkey tasks for the federal government sector. He opened Abraxas, a excessive-finish furnishings store in 1986 to introduce designer furnishings right here. “I’ve all the time appreciated area of interest markets and I wish to be authentic, doing issues that have not been accomplished earlier than,” says Lincoln sharing his life philosophy. Protecting in his modern model, Zouk was the primary membership to fly in worldwide deejays and pay them properly to play out to clubbers. With main acts flying down and taking part in, Zouk’s model identify as a dance establishment unfold far and broad.

2. Do what you like.

Lincoln was an everyday at legendary festivals like Summer time of Love and Woodstock, in addition to travelled all over the world to occasion in uber-cool golf equipment like Studio 54, Paradise Storage and Hacienda in his youthful days. It was throughout one of his yearly jaunts to occasion island, Ibiza, the place he caught DJ Alfredo, in any other case often called the godfather of Balearic home, a brand new mix of dance music that was very completely different from the standard pop tunes performed commercially again then. This new sound intrigued Lincoln’s savvy ears and he was hooked to this type of underground dance music and desired to carry it to the lots. His dream got here into fruition when he came across an deserted warehouse at Kim Seng Highway. It was precisely what he had in thoughts for an excellent membership. Along with 4 different buyers, which he ultimately purchased out after a couple of years, Lincoln sank in $10 million {dollars} – an unheard of sum in 1990, to construct his dream imaginative and prescient – a membership referred to as Zouk.

3. Be a perfectionist

As a perfectionist, he lovingly restored the façade of the warehouse and gave it a white-washed Moorish design – largely influenced by the golf equipment in Ibiza. He additionally had some quirky concepts for the membership. “Design-clever, I needed clubbers to have the ability to see the dance flooring in every single place they stood and I put in UV lights that might make white shirts glow so that folks did not put on their work shirts. I needed clubbers at Zouk to make an effort to decorate up once they got here right here!” He additionally spared no expense when it got here to the sound system, putting in solely the most effective aural gear for his membership. To check the dance music that he supposed to play at Zouk, Lincoln held home events for his associates who have been properly-travelled expatriates and style trade individuals, through the one-yr that the membership was underneath building. His events did very properly and he moved them to lodge perform rooms, and ultimately to Warehouse disco, a brand new-defunct membership in River Valley. “This group was my goal marketplace for Zouk and so they actually loved the music that I performed. When the membership opened in 1991, they have been there each weekend, dressed as much as the nines, able to occasion,” says Lincoln. This group of ‘stunning individuals’ made up 40 per cent of his clientele, and the remaining 60 per cent have been the general public. However everybody quickly caught on and change into religious followers, patronizing the slicing-edge membership each weekend.